The cultural heritage in the mountainous heartland of Central Asia is a montage of peoples, Soviet legacies, and Muslim traditions. Local residents often welcome visitors and invite them into their homes in the city or out to the villages to meet their extended families. These friendly, open people are walking in spiritual darkness, with less than one percent knowing Jesus. There is much poverty in this area, and many work across the border in another country and send money back to their families.
Our team’s vision is to see local business owners start and maintain healthy businesses so they can live in their own country and support their families. Interns who join our team will work in community development ministries to impact and serve the community while providing face-to-face interaction that builds relationships and lays the foundation for spiritual engagement.
Who Can Go?
We invite you to consider this opportunity if you have a desire to serve in cross-cultural ministry, a supportive sending church, and if you have had a positive short-term missions experience. Our internships are designed for those who are college age and up. An interest in business and community development is also valuable.
What You Will Do…
- Attend and engage in the local church along with your team
- Help build the team’s business initiatives, which includes market research, accounting help, marketing strategies, process/logistics management, and more
- Participate in training programs to help local business owners in rural mountainous regions
- Assist with community give-back programs to work with families
- Tour the world’s largest natural walnut forest in a beautiful mountain area
- Travel on the original, ancient Silk Road
- Shop in one of Central Asia’s most famous outdoor bazaars
What Encompass Does…
Both prior to and during the internship, Encompass will provide mentoring and training to facilitate your personal, professional, and spiritual growth. This includes the following:
- Mentorship prior to deploying for initial orientation as well as assistance with travel preparations
- Support with acclimation and orientation upon your arrival in country
- Regular meetings between you and your mentor to discuss cultural adjustment, goals, and expectations
- Evaluations between you and your mentor together with Encompass staff during and upon your return
The cost of this internship will vary depending on its duration and other factors, which will be determined during your application process. With each option, you will share an apartment with another expat and utilize local public transportation for city travel. For travel out to the mountains, you will go in the team car with staff members.
- 3-month internship: $6,700
- 6-month internship: $11,400
- 9-month internship: $2,400 per month (includes salary, field expenses, and health coverage)
- 12-month internship: $3,000 per month (includes salary, field expenses, and health coverage)
Are you interested in using your business knowledge and skills to help us bring the gospel to the least reached in Central Asia? Contact one of our mobilizers today to learn more!