An intern who participates in Explore Atlanta will gain in-depth training on cultural adaptation and cross-cultural disciple-making through a team approach. Your experience will be well rounded by participating in valuable learning opportunities through creative in-class instruction as well as hands-on practical application. You’ll be challenged in your current views of church, community, evangelism and so much more as you listen, discuss, and utilize various resources during morning sessions. In the afternoon and evenings, you’ll live it out by building relationships and serving in a variety of ways that could include anything from taking self-defense classes with refugees, to teaching and playing with Hispanic children in a nearby apartment complex. We seek to tailor specific ministry involvement to the skills, interests, and passions of each intern. Finally, you will receive personalized support and guidance by meeting with a ministry mentor throughout your journey.
Duration: This internship is offered periodically throughout the year for approximately 5 weeks. Please contact email@example.com about available times for this opportunity.
The basic objectives of this internship are to expose you to cross-cultural ministry in the context of the international refugee community in Atlanta and to provide opportunities for personal, spiritual and professional growth in preparation for future cross-cultural ministry.
The primary goals of this internship are for you to learn how to be a disciple, make disciples, live and serve as part of a cross-cultural ministry team, develop skills in understanding other cultures and be prepared for the challenges of learning a new language.
- Outreach to children and families in refugee apartment complexes. Partner with local ministries to help build relationships and share the person of Christ in refugee apartment complexes.
- University student outreach: participate in opportunities to meet and develop relationships with international students attending local universities
- Additional ministry opportunities may also be available
Cross Cultural Experiences
- Learn about the refugee crisis and gain an understanding of their experiences
- Attend Christian worship services in another language and culture
- Shop at international markets and stores
- Sample cuisine from around the world at local restaurants
- Experience public transportation in an urban setting
- Build relationships with refugees and experience their hospitality and family events
Strategies for Growth
- During the internship you will receive mentoring and training to facilitate personal, professional and spiritual growth. This includes the following:
- Receive information for initial orientation and for assistance with final travel preparations
- Receive assistance for acclimation and orientation upon arrival
- Receive daily classroom instruction for personal, professional and spiritual growth
- Have opportunity weekly to apply instruction in ministry settings
- Meet weekly with your mentor for discipleship, cross-cultural coaching and ongoing training
- Evaluate your internship with your mentor and with Encompass staff during and upon your return.
- Housing: You will share a large home and have either a single or shared bedroom with access to a shared kitchen, dining room, lounge areas, restroom/shower, and laundry facility.
- Transportation: It is recommended to bring own transportation if possible. Ride sharing with fellow attendees is also encouraged.
- Finances: This is an estimated cost. The actual cost will be confirmed during the application process.
- Estimated support level for 5 weeks: $3,350.00
Next Steps: To learn more about this internship and how you could spend your summer learning and serving cross-culturally in Atlanta, contact us…