Whether through sports, a ropes course, climbing wall, team building games, or handcrafts, the lodge’s educational programs foster conversation, reflection, and life application —not just activity.
It is through this extreme and unique relational bridge that interns enter and minister under our multiethnic team. You’ll experience cross-cultural living as you’ve never experienced before—building relationships through a different cultural lens. Japanese culture thrives on honorable and excellent service. High quality service in dining, lodging, or wherever needed is a testimony of one’s character and platform from which one can plant seeds of the gospel.
Explore ministry alongside others dedicated to reaching one of the world’s largest least-reached people groups. You can learn more about Northstar at www.ridenorthstar.com
Duration: This internship is preferred for 12 months. Three and six-month internships are also available when there are seasonal staff needs.*
The basic objectives of this internship are to expose you to cross-cultural ministry in Japan, to provide opportunities for personal, spiritual and professional growth, and to further the existing ministry of Northstar.
The primary goals of this internship are for you to live and serve as part of a cross-cultural ministry team, use your gifts in ministry as well as learn to serve where needed, grow in your understanding and ability to share the gospel in a Japanese context
- Program Staff: Assist and lead in various areas of adventure and English based programs.
- Hospitality Services: Assist the hospitality team in routine upkeep, cleaning, and maintenance of facilities and grounds.
- Meal Services: Assist in meal prep, service, and cleanup.
- *Local Church: For those who pursue a 6 or 12-month internship, additional ministry opportunities are encouraged in the local church.
- Visit a local church
- Visit a public elementary and junior high school
- Tour one of Japan’s two remaining original castles
- Visit a centuries-old historic town center
- Visit a thatched roof village, a World Heritage Site
- Visit one of Japan’s oldest and most popular Buddhist temples
Strategies for Growth: During the internship, you will receive mentoring and training to facilitate personal, professional and spiritual growth. This includes the following:
- Talk with your mentor prior to deploying for initial orientation and to receive assistance with final travel preparations
- Receive assistance for acclimation and orientation upon arrival in the country
- Receive training in cross-cultural ministry, evangelism and discipleship strategies for Japan
- Meet weekly with your mentor for discipleship and ongoing training
- Evaluate your internship with your mentor and with Encompass staff during and upon your return.
- Housing: You will stay in dormitory-style housing with access to a shared kitchen, dining, lounge, restroom, shower room, laundry facility, and gear storage.
- Transportation: You will have access to a NORTHSTAR vehicle for work purposes and during days off for personal travel. You will also utilize public transportation.
- Finances: These are estimated costs; each includes an airfare estimate. Actual costs will be confirmed during the application process.
- 3-Month Internship: $5,600
- 6-Month Internship: $8,900
- 12-Month Internship: TBD (will include salary, field expenses, health coverage)