What We Believe
Encompass World Partners (formerly Grace Brethren International Missions) is part of a family of churches in the United States, the Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches. We share the rich heritage of the FGBC and benefit from all that God has done in and through our spiritual family. All Encompass missionaries are committed to living and teaching in accordance with our Statement of Faith which reflects this heritage. For more about the FGBC, please visit their website - www.fgbc.org.
Encompass World Partners is also part of a worldwide family of churches, a Grace Brethren movement comprised of fellowships in many different countries. As indigenous fellowships, each one is seeking God’s answers to the questions their own culture poses. Encompass missionaries are committed to live in harmony with and learn from what God is teaching our brothers and sisters worldwide.
Encompass World Partners Statement of Faith
Encompass World Partners, in harmony with our historic position, believing the Bible, the whole Bible, and nothing but the Bible to be our infallible rule of faith and of practice, and feeling our responsibility to make known the divine message of the Bible, present the following articles as a statement of those basic truths taught in the Bible which are common to our Christian faith and practice.
- THE BIBLE: the Word of God, the sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments, verbally inspired in all parts, and therefore wholly without error as originally given of God (II Tim. 3:16; II Peter 1:21)
- THE ONE TRUE GOD: existing eternally as three persons-the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Luke 3:22, Matt. 28:19, II Cor. 13:14).
- THE LORD JESUS CHRIST: His preexistence and deity (John 1:1-3), incarnation by virgin birth (John 1:14; Matt. 1:18-23), sinless life (Heb. 4:15), substitutionary death (II Cor. 5:21), bodily resurrection (Luke 24:36-43), ascension into heaven and present ministry (Heb. 4:14-16), and coming again (Acts 1:11).
- THE HOLY SPIRIT: His personality (John 16:7-15); and deity (Acts 5:3-4); and His work in each believer: baptism and indwelling at the moment of regeneration (I Cor. 12:13; Rom. 8:9); and filling (Eph. 5:18) to empower for Christian life and service (Eph. 3:16; Acts 1:8; Gal. 5:22-23).
- MAN: his direct creation in the image of God (Gen. 1:26-28), his subsequent fall into sin resulting in spiritual death (Gen 3:1-24; Rom 5:12), and the necessity of the new birth for his salvation (John 3:3-5).
- SALVATION: a complete and eternal salvation by God’s grace alone, received as the gift of God through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work (Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5-7; 1 Peter 1:18-19).
- THE CHURCH: one true Church, the body and bride of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23; 5:25-32), composed of all true believers of the present age (1 Cor. 12:12-13); and the organization of its members in local churches for worship, for edification of believers, and for world-wide gospel witness, each local church being autonomous but cooperating in fellowship and work (Eph. 4:11-16).
- CHRISTIAN LIFE: a life of righteousness, good works, and separation unto God from the evil ways of the world (Rom. 12:1-2), manifested by speaking the truth (James 5:12), maintaining the sanctity of the home (Eph. 5:22-6:4), settling differences between Christians in accordance with the Word of God (I Cor. 6:1-8), not engaging in carnal strife but showing a Christ-like attitude toward men (Rom. 12:17-21), exhibiting the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23), and maintaining a life of prayer (Eph. 6:18; Phil.4:6), including the privilege, when sick, of calling for the elders of the church to pray for and to anoint with oil in the name of the Lord (James 5:13-18).
- ORDINANCES: the Christian should observe the ordinances of our Lord Jesus Christ, which are (1) baptism of believers by triune-immersion (Matt. 28:19) and (2) the threefold communion service, consisting of the washing of the saints’ feet (John 13:1-17), the Lord’s Supper (I Cor. 11:20-22, 33-34; Jude 12), and the communion of the bread and the cup (I Cor. 11:23-26).
- SATAN: his existence and personality as the great adversary of God and His people (Rev. 12:1-10), his judgment (John 12:31), and final doom (Rev. 20:10).
- SECOND COMING: the personal, visible, and imminent return of Christ to remove His church from the earth (I Thess. 4:16-17) before the tribulation (I Thess. 1:10; Rev. 3:10), and afterward to descend with the Church to establish His millennial kingdom upon the earth (Rev. 19:11-20:6).
- FUTURE LIFE: the conscious existence of the dead (Phil. 1:21-23; Luke 16:19-31), the resurrection of the body (John 5:28-29), the judgment and reward of believers (Rom. 14:10-12; II Cor. 5:10), the judgment and condemnation of unbelievers (Rev. 20:11-15), the eternal life of the saved (John 3:16), and the eternal punishment of the lost (Matt. 25:46; Rev. 20:15).
This statement must be subscribed to by every missionary serving under the Society. It is endorsed annually by each member of the Board of Trustees.